In celebration of Soo Locks Engineer’s Day, Cloverland Electric Cooperative hosts its annual hydroelectric plant open house usually on the fourth Friday in June. Join us for a day of fun activities for the whole family. Self-guided tours are held 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free.
- Free hot dogs
- Free popcorn provided by Lighthouse.Net
- Energy saving information by Energy Optimization
- Tour the LSSU Aquatic Lab
- Prize drawings and giveaways (Win a limited edition print of the hydro plant by David Conklin.)
- Video presentations
- Displays and artifacts
- Tools of the Trade exhibit and more!
- Hotline and pole climbing demonstrations will take place outside on the hydro plant grounds
The historic hydroelectric plant is over 113 years old and continues to provide power to residents in the Eastern Upper Peninsula. The facility is located along the St. Marys River and Portage Avenue in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. In 2015, we welcomed nearly 4,100 visitors!
Congratulations to our 2015 open house prize winners:
- Walter Shann (Sault Ste. Marie)
- Billie Ennes (Brimley)
Limited Edition Print of Hydroelectric Plant
- Kevin Sprague (Sault Ste. Marie)
Shakespeare Fishing Pole
- Austin Fox (Kincheloe, MI)
- Paula Thompson (Pickford, MI)
- Robert Irey (Conklin, MI)
- Heather Hemphill (Sault Ste. Marie, MI)
- Claude Vollmer (Mayville, WI)
- Daniel Spurgeon (Rogers City, MI)